Artist and academic who established many of the principles for conserving ancient monuments. Born in London, Brown attended Uppingham School and then Oriel College, Oxford, taking his degree in Classical Moderations in 1871. He was elected to a Fellowship at Brasenose College, Oxford, but earnestly desired to be an artist and enrolled at the South Kensington School of Art. In this he was highly successful, and in July 1880 he was appointed to the newly endowed Watson Gordon Chair of Fine Art in the University of Edinburgh. He remained at Edinburgh for 50 years, resigning the chair in 1930. During this time he developed an interest in the preservation and protection of historic buildings and ancient monuments, and in The care of ancient monuments (1905, Cambridge: CUP) he explored both the academic and practical aspects of what today would be called monument management. He was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland in 1884 and gave the Rhind Lectures in 1910.
From The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Archaeology in Oxford Reference.