Scots architect and writer. From 1881 to 1895 he was Rowand Anderson's junior partner, having worked in London with Nesfield who greatly influenced his later development. In 1887 he won the competition to design Edinburgh's Central Library (completed 1890) with an essay in the François Ier style at George IV Bridge, and used the same style for the British Linen Bank (1902–5—now Bank of Scotland), at the corner of George and Frederick Streets, Edinburgh. Among his other works the Braid (former United Presbyterian) Church, Morningside (1886), the cheerful Hospital for Sick Children (1892), the National Memorial to Edward VII at Holyrood (1912–22), and the fine YMCA Building, St Andrew Street (1914–15), all in Edinburgh, should be cited. From c. 1895 to 1907 he was in partnership with J. M. D. Peddie.
AHe, iii (1992), 52–63; DW;RIBA Journal (Journal of the Royal Institute of British Architects), ser. 3 xlvi/376 (1939), 141–3