Scots architect, a pupil and assistant of William Burn. He designed a number of distinguished buildings, including the Scottish-Baronial Royal Infirmary (1870–9); Fettes College (1863–70); the Head Office of the Bank of Scotland (1864–71); St George's West Church (1867–9); and the British Linen Bank, St Andrew Square (a fine palazzo of 1846–51), all in Edinburgh. He is best known for his country-houses, most of which are in the Scottish-Baronial style, influenced by Billings's Baronial Antiquities (1845–52): one of his best houses in that style is Kinnaird Castle, Brechin, Angus (1853–7). He designed the enormous Classical Hamilton Palace mausoleum, Lanarkshire (1848–51), which has a Roman grandeur about it. His brother John (1805–51) practised in Glasgow, where he designed monuments in the Necropolis including the McGavin memorial (1830s), and several ranges of Classical houses, including Queen's Crescent (1840).
Colvin (1995);Fiddes & Rowan (1976)