Related Overviews

Giovanni Maria Nosseni (1544—1620)

Adriaen de Vries (c. 1545—1626)

Hans Rottenhammer (1564—1625)


'Bückeburg' can also refer to...




Boundary Treaty between Hanover and Prussia, signed at Bückeburg, 25 November 1837

Conventions between Lippe-Detmold and Schaumburg-Lippe, signed at Bückeburg, 5 July 1812

Treaty between Lippe-Detmold and Schaumburg-Lippe, signed at Bückeburg, 6 July 1812

Declaration respecting Taxes on Emigration etc. between Schaumburg-Lippe and the Swiss Confederation, signed at Zurich, 31 August/Bückeburg, 9 September 1840

Treaty between Brunswick, Hanover and Oldenburg, and Schaumburg-Lippe, signed at Bückeburg, Hanover, Oldenburg, Berlin, 18, 24, 25 December 1841, 1 January 1842

Additional Treaty between Prussia and Schaumburg-Lippe respecting the Rhine-Weser Canal, signed at Berlin/Bückeburg, 1/13 March 1911

Treaty between Prussia and Schaumburg-Lippe respecting the Rhine-Weser Canal, signed at Berlin/Bückeburg, 19/30 October 1906

Convention between Hesse-Cassel and Schaumburg-Lippe, signed at Rinteln, 7 August/Bückeburg, 19 August 1819

Treaty between Prussia and Schaumburg-Lippe for the Construction of a Railway from Nienburg to Minden, signed at Bückeburg/Berlin, 22/27 February 1913

Treaty between Oldenburg and Schaumburg-Lippe for the Modification of the Treaty of 23 October 1878 for the Creation of a common Appeal Court, signed at Oldenburg/Bückeburg, 26/30 April 1901

Treaty between Prussia and Schaumburg-Lippe relative to the Incorporation of Doctors living in Schaumburg-Lippe in the Medical Society of the Prussian Province of Hesse-Nassau, signed at Berlin/Bückeburg, 3 February 1905


More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Renaissance Art


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

German town in south-western Lower Saxony. It was until 1918 the residence of the counts (princes from 1807) of Schaumburg-Lippe. The settlement was originally a castle in the water, built by Adolf VI, Graf von Schaumburg (reg 1315–53), as a means of controlling the Helweg, an old trade route. Bückeburg was first mentioned in a document of 1304, and by 1365 Graf Adolf VIII (reg 1404–27) had granted the settlement around the castle the status of a legal municipality. Bückeburg first achieved significance in 1608, when Ernst, Graf von Schaumburg (from 1619 Prince of the Empire) moved his residence there from neighbouring Stadthagen. In 1609 he granted Bückeburg its town charter and appointed some of the most prominent artists of the time to construct and remodel buildings in the town, including the architect giovanni maria Nosseni, the sculptor adriaen de Vries and the painter hans Rottenhammer i, as well as such local craftsmen as Ebert Wulff II, Jonas Wulff and Hans Wulff from Hildesheim (see Wulff; see also Schaumburg, ernst graf von). The castle, including older parts of the building such as the 14th-century chapel, was expanded in the Weser Renaissance style and cut off from the town by a splendid Mannerist gate. The market-place, which abutted the castle precincts, was bounded by the town hall, treasury and court buildings. The castle was further remodelled in 1732 following a fire. Its present layout is the result of comprehensive rebuilding in 1893–8, when two buildings were added in a Renaissance Revival style.


From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Renaissance Art.

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.