Moravian town 30 km east of Brno, Czech Republic. It is renowned for the Renaissance palace of Jan Šembera Černohorský z Boskovice (1543–97). The original design, Italian in character, is thought to have been by Jacopo Strada (c. 1515–88) and to date from 1567. It was altered in 1579 at the owner's wish by the master builder Pietro Gabri. The main courtyard was enlarged at the expense of one of the wings, which was transformed into a series of superimposed arcaded galleries, matching the courtyard elevation of two of the remaining three wings. The palace thus lost its original symmetrical layout but gained a three-storey arcaded courtyard of lightness and elegance, Mannerist in style. The palace was also given two lateral courtyards and an extensive Italian garden on its main axis. The whole was bounded by a moat and by a wall with two pairs of gates and with corner bastions that simulate a defensive function, in a typically Mannerist way. When the construction was finished (c. 1582) this was one of the most important Renaissance buildings of its time in central Europe and one of the few in the region to be designed on a unified plan with an axially conceived garden.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.