Hung. string quartet founded 1917 by players from Budapest Opera Orch. (Emil Hauser, Alfred Indig (succeeded 1920 by Imre Pog´ny), Istvan Ipolyi, and Harry Son). First played in London 1925. By 1936 membership was Russ. and Ukrainian (1st vn. Joseph Roisman). Under Roisman, quartet became noted for brilliance of style and made many recordings. Settled in USA 1938. Recorded all Beethoven's quartets three times. Last public appear‐ance 1967.