(b 1782-3; d London, 1 May 1818). English cabinetmaker and sculptor. In 1804 he entered into partnership with a looking-glass maker, William Stoakes of Church Street, Liverpool. They advertised themselves as ‘Cabinet Makers, General Furnishers and Marble Workers’ and in 1805 supplied Gothic furniture designed by Bullock to Cholmondeley Castle, Ches (in situ). The following year Bullock set up on his own in Bold Street, Liverpool, selling furniture and bronze ornaments. By 1806 he had acquired the Mona Marble quarries in Anglesey and sold ‘fashionable and elegant Sculptured and Plain Chimney Pieces’ at a separate showroom in Church Street. Around 1809 or 1810 Bullock was briefly in partnership with the architect Joseph Michael Gandy, as ‘architects, modellers, sculptors, marble masons, cabinetmakers and upholsterers’, probably working together at Storrs Hall, on Lake Windermere, Cumbria, and Bolton Hall, N. Yorks, both for Colonel John Bolton (1756-1837). Gandy may have been involved in Bullock's antiquarian refurbishment of Speke Hall, Liverpool, for Richard Watt (d 1812) in 1811.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.