(1802–63). London architect who was surveyor to several organizations, including the London Cemetery Company and The Haberdashers' Company. He designed the Egyptian Revival avenue and other structures at Highgate Cemetery, and the Classical Grecian lodges and gates at Nunhead Cemetery (1839–43). In 1843 he was appointed ‘Clerk to the City's Works’ (the title was changed to City Architect in 1847), and he was responsible for several street improvements. In 1848 he prepared the first plans for Holborn Viaduct. His masterpiece (demolished 1962) was generally regarded to be the London Coal Exchange (1846–9), an internal top-lit galleried rotunda of cast iron concealed within an Italianate Classical exterior. He also designed the handsome Italianate Metropolitan Cattle Market, Caledonian Road (1855)—only the clock-tower and the corner pubs survive—and the castellated Holloway Prison (1849–52), largely demolished. He was the author of Designs for Tombs and Monuments (1839).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.