(1919–81) was born in Brooklyn and received bachelor's and master's degrees from St John's University. He then graduated from the Tufts Dental College. He served as a captain in the Army after the Second World War. In the 1960s his research into, and clinical evaluation of, plastic sealants led to a new development in adhesive dentistry. He is known for his innovative research on the preparation of the enamel surface with a weak acid to enhance adhesion of an organic plastic chemical sealant and the polymerization in situ of a sealant with ultraviolet light. He was chairman of the department of dental materials at the Eastman Dental Center, Rochester, USA.