English architect. He worked mostly in Leics., and many of his buildings were of considerable distinction. Some were in the Domestic Revival style (the former Wyggeston Girls' School (1877–8) and the coffee-houses of the 1880s he designed for the Leicester Cocoa and Coffee Company), but others were in a Neo-Renaissance style (e.g. the terracotta-faced Alexandra House, Rutland Street, Leicester, of 1895–8, perhaps one of the finest warehouses in England). Other works, all of good quality, included the Reference Library, Bishop Street (1904), the former (and mutilated) Eastgates Coffee House (1885), the former High Cross Coffee House, High Street (1880s), the Gothic former Leicester Savings Bank, Greyfriars (later Bank of Ireland) (1873), Nos. 8–10 Millstone Lane (1864), the former Liberal Club, Bishop Street (1885–8), some schools (e.g. the Hazel Primary, Hazel Street, of 1880), and houses (e.g. No. 6 Ratcliffe Road, of 1880), all in Leicester.
Pevsner (ed.) (1984): BoE: Leicestershire and Rutland