Overview

Thomas Burgh

(1630—1730)


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(1630–1730).

Irish military engineer, who worked under Surveyor-General William Robinson, succeeding him in 1700. His buildings in Dublin include the Custom House (from 1704, demolished 1815), the Library at Trinity College (1709–33), the Royal Barracks (1701–7), various other buildings at Trinity, and Dr Steevens's Hospital (from 1718). His only essay in tentative Palladianism seems to have been at his own house at Oldtown, Co. Kildare (c.1715).

M. Craig (1969, 1982);Loeber (1981);McParland (2001)

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.