William George De Burgh was born in London on 24 October 1866 and died in Toller Pocorum, Dorset on 27 August 1943. Educated at Winchester and Merton College, Oxford, he became briefly an assistant master at Derby School, a tutor at Toynbee Hall, London and a University Extension lecturer in Stepney. From 1896 to 1907 he taught classics at the University Extension College in Reading, adding philosophy from 1908. On the establishment of University College, Reading in 1907 he became Professor of Philosophy (relinquishing classics in 1910) and Dean of the Faculty of Letters, holding both positions until he retired in 1934. That he retained his classical interests is clear from his well-received books, The Legacy of Greece and Rome (1912) and The Legacy of the Ancient World (1926). He was a leading promoter of the University of Reading, which received its charter in 1926, a loyal member of the Church of England and a fellow of the British Academy (1938).
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.