The Church which emerged in Wales through the revivalist preaching of Howel Harris (1714–73) and Daniel Rowland (1713–90). They had contacts with English Methodists, but among the leaders of the movement there was no wish to separate from the C of E. The English Calvinistic Methodists, led by G. Whitefield, were eventually absorbed into Congregationalism. Separation of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists from the Established Church began in 1795 as a result of persecution. They were obliged to seek the protection of the Toleration Act, and their meeting houses were registered as Dissenting Chapels. The first ordination of ministers took place in 1811. The Confession of Faith (based on the Westminster Confession) was drawn up in 1823 and the Constitutional Deed formally completed in 1826. An Act of Parliament in 1933 secured the autonomy in things spiritual of the Calvinistic Methodist Church (also known as the Presbyterian Church of Wales) and a Property Board was established. The Church is Presbyterian in government and mainly Welsh-speaking.