A group founded in London in 1930 to advance the development of British ballet by staging productions and nurturing the talents of UK dancers and choreographers. The brainchild of Haskell and Richardson, it provided a platform for such key British choreographers as Ashton, de Valois, and Tudor. Its first subscription performance was on 19 Oct. 1930 at the Cambridge Theatre. Ballets by de Valois (Danse sacrée et danse profane), and Ashton (Pomona) were included on the debut programme. Dancers were drawn from the schools of Rambert and de Valois, and the society recruited established stars such as Markova, Lopokova, Spessivtseva, and Dolin. Its subscribers included leading figures of British intellectual society. Like Diaghilev, the directors aimed to collaborate with contemporary painters and composers, commissioning designs from Duncan Grant and scores from Constant Lambert among others. The society staged the first British productions of Giselle and Swan Lake, Act II. Among new British ballets to be premiered were de Valois's Job (1931), and La Création du monde (1931), Ashton's Façade (1931), and Tudor's Adam and Eve (1932). After two gala performances at Covent Garden, the society was dissolved in 1933. Many of its ballets were given to the Vic-Wells Ballet.