Scots architect. He commenced practice in Glasgow with J. J. Burnet in 1886, and practised alone from 1897 to 1909 when he entered into partnership with Alexander David Hislop (1876–1966). Shawlands Old Parish Church, Pollokshaws Road (1885–9), is an essay in First Pointed, with a defensive street elevation and a dramatic north elevation facing Shawlands Cross in which parts of Dunblane Cathedral were quoted, but the Barony Church (1886–9— now the ceremonial hall of Strathclyde University) is a masterpiece of First Pointed, much influenced by the work of Pearson (who was adjudicator during the architectural competition) and again with quotations from Dunblane: in both of these Glaswegian works Burnet was deeply involved. On his own account Campbell designed the mighty office building at 157-67 Hope Street, on the corner with West George Street (1902–3), the great height of which relies on load-bearing masonry with cast-iron columns supporting steel beams spanning between internal brick piers. His last independent work was the office building at 84–94 St Vincent Street, Glasgow, the city's first steel-framed building, with a Portland Stone front.
Das Werk ;Williamson, Riches, & Higgs (1990)