Camporese Family

Quick Reference

Pietro Camporese (1726–81) and his sons Giulio (1754–1840) and Giuseppe (1763–1822) were the architects for the remodelling of Santa Scolastica, Subiaco, of the Galleria dei Candelabri (1786–88), and for the completion of the Neo-Classical atrium of the Quattro Cancelli, Museo Pio-Clementino, in Rome (1793). Pietro the Younger (1792–1873) was an important scholar of antiquities, and became a member of the Commission formed to study the problems of planning the enlargement of Rome. He was responsible for the Renaissance Revival work in the Piazza Nicosia palazzetto, for the colonnaded Portico di Veio, Palazzo Wedekind, facing the Piazza Colonna (1838), and for the façade of the Hospital of San Giacomo degli Incurabili (1843), in Rome, among other works.

Meeks (1966);Middleton & Watkin (1987)

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries