Quick Reference

A merchant ship fitted in the Second World War (1939–45) with a catapult with which fighter aircraft could be launched to protect the ship, or the convoy it was in, from air attacks. The fighter could not, of course, land back on board once it had been launched, and the pilot returned by ditching as close as possible to a merchant ship so he could be picked up, the aircraft being abandoned. The name came from the initial letters of catapult aircraft merchant ship.

Subjects: Maritime History.

Reference entries