Spanish-born engineer and architect. He specializes in reinforced concrete shell structures, including the spectacular sports palace for the Mexico Olympics in 1968.
Born in Madrid, Candela was educated at the University of Madrid and the architects' school there. He was a captain in the Engineers in the Spanish republican army during the Spanish civil war (1936–39), and emigrated to Mexico in 1939. In 1941 he became a Mexican citizen and in 1978 a citizen of the USA. He has been professor at the Escuela Nacional de Arquitectura, University of Mexico, since 1953 (now on leave). His two most interesting buildings, both in Mexico, are the Church of the Miraculous Virgin (1953–55) in Mexico City and the market hall at Coyacán (1956). He used similar umbrella-shaped roofs for the John Lewis warehouse at Stevenage (1963) in England. A retrospective exhibition of Candela's work was shown in Madrid and Valencia in 1994.