According to Simeon of Durham, an estate at Carlisle was given to St Cuthbert when he became Bp. of Lindisfarne in 685. In 1133 Carlisle became the centre of a new diocese. The church of the priory there, founded c.1122, became the cathedral; it was served by Augustinian Canons. When the priory was dissolved in 1540, its lands and revenues were used to endow a new cathedral establishment. The cathedral fell into disrepair and five bays of the nave were demolished between 1649 and 1652. Its chief glory is the 14th-cent. East window.