The see, created in 1133, was conterminous with Cumbria until the 19th cent. Initially it had a complex history, for, though ecclesiastically always under the metropolitan jurisdiction of York, it fell politically under the Scottish kings for 21 years (1136–57). The cathedral, originally founded as an Augustinian priory in 1102, is noted for its fine 14th‐cent. curvilinear east window.
Subjects: British History.