(b Florence, 1540; d Mantua, c. 1598). Italian sculptor, stuccoist and bronze-caster. His work was considered to be by two artists until Keutner (1991–2) proposed that Carlo di Cesari and Carlo Pallago were the same person. Most of his creative career was spent working at the courts of German princes; so far his name has been connected with surviving works only north of the Alps. He is documented as working, in his early years, as an assistant to Giorgio Vasari (1511–74) and Giambologna (1529–1608) at the Medici court in Florence. In 1565 he was accepted as a member at the Accademia del Disegno in Florence, continuing to pay his subscription until 1568. From 1569 to 1573 he worked for Hans Fugger in Augsburg (see Fugger, (3)), making sculptural decorations in stucco and terracotta for his house (partly destr. 1944) as part of Friedrich Sustris's decorative scheme (see Sustris, (2)). Twelve pairs of almost life-size terracotta satyrs have survived in the library, which remains intact. In 1573 he was employed by the Crown Prince of Bavaria (from 1579 Duke William V), who wanted to have his castle, Burg Trausnitz in Landshut, furnished along the same lines as Hans Fugger's house. From 1574 Carlo di Cesari divided his time between Munich, where he produced marble busts for the Antiquarium in the Residenz, and Landshut, where he worked on the stucco decoration (destr. 1961) in Burg Trausnitz and on bronze figures for a fountain (two satyrs, some putti and a Venus are believed to survive; Munich, Residenz and Washington, DC, N.G.A.). He cast the figures himself, thus initiating the casting of figures in bronze at the court of the Dukes of Bavaria.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.