Largest concert‐hall in NY, seating c.3,000, and, until 1962 when the Phil. (now Avery Fisher) Hall, Lincoln Center, opened, home of the city's prin. orch. concerts. Architect, W. B. Tuthill. Opened May 1891, Tchaikovsky being among guest conds. Called ‘Music Hall’ until 1898, when renamed in honour of industrialist Andrew Carnegie (1835–1919), who had provided most of the money to build it.