Quick Reference

The principal church of a diocese, with which the bishop is officially associated. Recorded from Middle English (as an adjective, the noun being short for cathedral church ‘the church which contains the bishop's throne’), the word comes via Latin from Greek kathedra ‘seat’.

Subjects: Medieval and Renaissance History (500 to 1500).

Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »