One-act ballet with choreography by Marius Petipa and music by Johann Armsheirmer. Premiered in 1896 at the Mariinsky, St Petersburg with Legnani, M. Petipa, and P. Gerdt. A demi-caractère ballet, it tells the story of the comic and romantic shenanigans that occur when soldiers pause for rest and refreshment in a village. Later versions were by Clustine in 1898 and Shiryaev in 1919. It has recently been revived by the Mikhailovsky Ballet.