central vowel

'central vowel' can also refer to...


More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Psychology


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A vowel (see the diagram accompanying that entry) produced in the middle of the mouth with the central part of the tongue raised, such as the vowel in girl or the initial vowel in alone, which is phonetically the same as the vowel in the and is called a schwa. Compare back vowel, front vowel.

Subjects: Psychology.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.