Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Bevel, cant, or oblique surface produced by cutting away an arris or corner at an angle (usually 45°), not as big as a splay. Thus a piece of stone or wood (e.g. beam) so treated is chamfered. Chamfers can be hollowed out, or concave, called chamferet, cham-fret, or hollow chamfer, as in a flute, and can be beaded (with a convex bead-like moulding projecting from the chamfer). When the chamfer does not extend the whole length of the object (e.g. beam or splayed jamb), it is a stopped chamfer, sometimes simply treated, but often ornamented (chamfer-stop—see stop). Rustication includes chamfered rustication. Swelled chamfer is a Vitruvian scroll.

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.