Hamburg-born architect of noble French parentage, he trained under Weinbrenner, Wimmel, and others. Settling in his native city, he designed buildings in which North-German traditions of brick-built architecture were combined with Rundbogenstil and Renaissance elements. His work owed much to Percier & Fontaine and Schinkel, and was itself influential; buildings included the City Post Office (1830s—destroyed), a fine house on the Neu-Jungfernstieg (c.1835—destroyed), and an asylum consisting of detached pavilions in a park near Kiel (1842). He remodelled part of Hamburg around the Alster Lake after the conflagration of 1842, and designed numerous structures, including buildings for the Guild of Cabinetmakers, the Hall for the Guild of Tailors, and the Church of St Peter. With his assistant, Andreas Friedrich Wilhelm von Hanno, (1826–82), he built Trinity Church, Oslo, Norway (1850–8), a Gothic centralized building on an octagonal plan with projecting porch, transepts, and chancel. His publications included Architectura Domestica and The Country House (both 1843). He made several unrealized designs for London, including proposals for the Royal Exchange and the Nelson Memorial.
Châteauneuf (1839, 1860);Lange (1965);Tschudi-Madsen (1965)