(Derbys.). Country seat of the Cavendishes, dukes of Devonshire. The Elizabethan house, begun by Sir William Cavendish in 1552 and completed by his widow Bess of Hardwick (Lady Shrewsbury), was replaced by the present building which has south and east fronts by William Talman (1687–96) and a north front by Thomas Archer (1704–7). Chatsworth has painted ceilings by Verrio, Thornhill, and Laguerre, furniture by William Kent, sculpture by Cibber and Canova, and paintings by Rembrandt, Frans Hals, Van Dyck, Tintoretto, and Lely. The formal parterres at Chatsworth were designed by George London and Henry Wise, whilst the cascade has a classical temple at its top by Thomas Archer (1702). From 1761 Capability Brown made major changes in the grounds, incorporating new planting and a bridge by Paine (1760–4). During the 19th cent. the 6th duke of Devonshire and his gardener Sir Joseph Paxton devised a system of cascades, fountains, and pools, culminating in the Emperor Fountain of 1843.
Subjects: Lifestyle, Home, and Garden — British History.