The present see, created in 1914, is conterminous with Essex. In 604 Augustine consecrated Mellitus bishop of London to convert the East Saxons, but success was short‐lived. In c.650 Oswiu, king of Northumbria, sent Cedd as bishop of the East Saxons. The Essex see was independent until 675, when Bishop Eorcenwald moved to London. After that Essex remained within the London diocese until the 19th cent. In 1845 Essex was removed from the London diocese and united with Rochester, only to be transferred to the new see of St Albans in 1877. With the creation of the see of Chelmsford, Essex again had a bishop of its own.
Subjects: British History.