In the Chilterns near Wendover (Bucks.), was given in 1917 by Lord Lee of Fareham as a country residence for the prime minister. Lee, a Conservative MP first elected in 1900, was an admirer of Lloyd George, served as director‐general of food production in 1917, and moved to agriculture in 1919 and to the Admiralty in 1921. The house has a Tudor core, with Victorian additions and substantial remodelling by Lee 1909–12.
Subjects: British History.