The Benedictine abbey of St Werburgh was founded in 1092 on the site of an Anglo‐Saxon foundation. It produced the earliest of the Chester mystery plays, and the Polychronicon of Ranulph Higden (d. 1364) was its main contribution to medieval learning. After the dissolution of the monasteries, the abbey was reconstituted in 1541 as the cathedral, in the newly formed diocese. The abbey buildings are among the best‐preserved monastic remains in Britain. The carved choir‐stalls (c.1390) are particularly fine, though five misericords were destroyed by Dean Howson for being ‘very improper’.
Subjects: British History.