(b Grenoble, c. 1480; d Blois, before 3 March 1525). French sculptor. He was one of the chief monumental sculptors in France in the generation after Michel Colombe, running a large workshop in Grenoble, but most of his documented works are either destroyed or untraced. In May 1517 he worked for the Poysieu family at Montereau-Faut-Yonne, Seine-et-Marne, being res-ponsible (Thieme–Becker) for the reredos of the Saint-Claude Chapel (in situ). It is possible that he contributed to the decoration of the Palais de Justice, Grenoble, before 1519. That year he received his most important commission: three tombs for the La Trémoille family, erected in the chapel of the château de Thouars, Deux-Sèvres (destr. 1793, but recorded in a drawing by Robert de Gaignières, Paris, Bib. N.). In 1521 he sculpted the tomb of Charlotte d’Albret in the church of La Motte-Feuilly, Indre (fragments).
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.