Overview

Eleanor Coade

(1733—1821) manufacturer of artificial stone


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(1733–1821).

Manufacturer and marketer of a type of fine, hard, water-resistant, artificial stone known as Coade Stone, made in Lambeth from 1769. Consisting of China clay, sand, and crushed material that had already been fired, it was used for architectural ornaments and components such as capitals, keystones, and even funerary monuments. The product was also called Lithodipyra, meaning twice-fired stone, and its stability during firing enabled the finished size of an artefact to be accurately estimated during modelling.

A. Kelly (1990);Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2004)

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.