An artificial stone manufactured in London in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, used for figure sculpture, monuments, architectural dressings, and decorative work. Essentially a type of clay, fired in a kiln at high temperature, it was named after Eleanor Coade (1733–1821), who set up in business in Lambeth in 1769. She claimed that it resisted frost and therefore retained sharpness of outline better than natural stone, and time has proved her right. It was mixed into a kind of paste and formed into the required shape with moulds, so popular designs could be more or less mass produced. The business was an immediate success: Robert Adam was one of the notable architects who used the material and several good sculptors, particularly John Bacon the Elder, worked for the firm. Monuments made of Coade stone exist in many English churches, and some garden sculpture remains. Mrs Coade's successor in the business, her distant relative William Croggon, died bankrupt in 1835 and by about 1840 Coade stone had vanished from the market.