Flemish architect, painter, antiquarian, engineer, etc. After a successful career as a painter in Italy, he was invited to Brussels by Archduke Albrecht and Isabella, and became ‘architecte et ingeniaire’ to the Archduke in 1605, and carried out numerous commissions. His masterpiece, the Church of Onze Lieve Vrouwe (Our Lady's Church), Scherpenheuvel, Brabant (1606–24), introduced the Italian Baroque façade, derived from Il Gesù in Rome, to the southern Netherlands, as well as the centrally planned domed arrangement. In 1618 he was appointed General Superintendent of public pawn shops, a concept he introduced to the southern Netherlands, based on the Monti di Pietà of Italy, and designed several of the Bergen van Barmhartigheid himself (e.g. Gent (1622), Arras (1624), and Lille (1628)—in which some Baroque features may be found).
Petra Maclot ;Soetart (1986);Jane Turner (1996);W. Thomas & Duerloo (eds.) (1998)
Subjects: Architecture — Renaissance Art.