Eliezer Cogan was born in Rothwell, Northamptonshire and died in Higham Hill, Walthamstow, Essex on 21 January 1855. He was taught at home by his father, and a superb memory enabled him to master the Latin grammar before he was six. He later taught himself Greek. Cogan was educated for the ministry at Daventry Dissenting Academy where he was appointed assistant tutor in 1784. In 1787 he became minister at Cirencester Presbyterian meeting, and at the time of his marriage in 1790 he gave up the ministry to run a school at Ware and Enfield. Moving briefly to Cheshunt in 1800, he settled at Higham Hill in 1801, where he combined, until 1816, his highly successful school (one of his pupils was Benjamin Disraeli) with the ministry of the Presbyterian chapel at Walthamstow. He finally retired from teaching in 1828 with an ample fortune obtained from schooling the sons of rich liberal dissenters and other parents with a similar outlook.
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.