[Ir. Conga; cf. OIr. cuing, isthmus].
Monastery in Co. Mayo at the north-east end of Lough Corrib, established by St Féichín in the 6th century and rebuilt by the Austin canons in the 12th. It was reckoned to be on an isthmus in that it is between Lough Corrib and Lough Mask. Sometimes associated with the nearby plain known as Mag Tuired [Moytura]. The last high king of Ireland, Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair, entered this monastery in 1183 and died here in 1198. The celebrated Cross of Cong, housed in the National Museum of Ireland, survived the destruction of the buildings. The ruins, partially restored in the 19th century, are in the south-east portion of the village of Cong.