Italian sculptor and occasional painter. He was born at Mazara del Vallo, Sicily, and studied at the Academy of Fine Arts, Palermo, 1938–44. In 1944 he settled in Rome, where he started to make abstract sculpture soon afterwards and joined the groups Forma in 1947 and Continuità in 1961. In the 1950s he began making what he called ferri trasparenti (‘transparent irons’)—double-sided low reliefs pierced with jagged holes—and it is for these that he is best known. Although he usually worked in metal, he also used marble and wood. Consagra is regarded as one of the leading figures in post-war Italian sculpture and won several awards, notably the International Sculpture Prize at the 1960 Venice Biennale; his public commissions include a large fountain for the Piazzale della Farnesina in Rome (1966). He wrote numerous articles on art and in 1952 published the book Necessità della scultura, a response to Arturo Martini, who had declared that sculpture was dead.
From A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art in Oxford Reference.