(1873–1949), biblical critic and Semitic historian. A native of King's Lynn, he was educated at Wyggeston School, Leicester, and at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where he was afterwards Fellow and lecturer (1904–32). From 1932 to 1938 he was Regius Professor of Hebrew. His extensive writings were marked by a wide knowledge, esp. of early Semitic customs and archaeology, which he interpreted with freshness and imagination, though the unconventionality of his conclusions set his work somewhat apart from the main stream of OT discussion. From 1896 to 1903 he was a member of the editorial staff of the Encyclopaedia Biblica, and from 1902 to 1932 edited the journal of the Palestine Exploration Fund. His writings include The Study of Religions (1914), The Religion of Ancient Palestine in the Light of Archaeology (Schweich Lectures, 1930), The Old Testament: A Reinterpretation (1936), and The ‘Truth’ of the Bible (1938).
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.