(1802–80), a leading member of the Irish medical establishment. He studied in Dublin and Edinburgh, qualifying in 1825. As well as conducting a private practice in Dublin, he worked as physician to the Charitable Infirmary, Jervis Street (1831–43), and to the House of Industry hospitals (1840–66). He published many papers, notably an important study of aortic insufficiency (1832) and one on the relationship between famine and fever (1846). As a consequence of the latter work, he was appointed to the Board of Health, set up in 1846 to advise on medical measures to combat fever during the Famine. He served on the senate of the Queen's Colleges for thirty years and became vice-chancellor of the Queen's University in 1871. He was the first Catholic to hold the presidency of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland (1859–64). In 1870 he was elected as a Liberal MP for the city of Dublin, but his energetic support of the temperance cause and of non-denominational education alienated the drink industry and the Catholic church and he did not stand for reelection in 1874.
From The Oxford Companion to Irish History in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: European History.