Selina Hastings, Countess of Huntingdon (1707–91), financed the Calvinist branch of the Methodist movement, led by George Whitefield, whom she appointed her chaplain in 1751. She built chapels in London and at fashionable Bath, Brighton, and Tunbridge Wells, and in 1767 founded a theological college in Breconshire. Services were conducted in conformity with the Church of England, even after the Methodist break with the Anglican Church in 1779. At the time of the ecclesiastical census of 1851 the Connexion had over 100 chapels. Their registers are kept at The National Archives.