Overview

Crown of Thorns


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

One of the instruments of Christ's passion. Its supposed preservation is first mentioned in the 5th cent. In 1239 the relic then at Constantinople came into the hands of Louis IX of France, who built the Sainte-Chapelle to house it.

Subjects: Christianity.


Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »


Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.