English master-carpenter. He entered into partnership with his brother William (1791–1863) in c.1814, and in 1815 set up a building establishment that would encompass all the trades. He engaged in speculative developments on a huge scale in London. Later, from 1824, he built large parts of the Bedford Estate, Bloomsbury, all to an excellent standard of workmanship, and all designed ‘in-house’, largely by his brother, Lewis Cubitt. He developed huge tracts of Belgravia and Pimlico, and much of Kemp Town, Brighton. He also erected several large, substantial, and well-built houses to his own designs. These buildings were sub-Palladian or Italianate, and the most celebrated is Osborne House, IoW (1845–8), to which Prince Albert also contributed. Cubitt was active in promoting public hygiene, public parks, better building regulations, and smoke abatement.
Colvin (1995);Hobhouse (1995);Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2004);Summerson (ed.) (1993)
Subjects: Architecture — British History.