(b 1844; d 1910). French potter. He left his native Limoges to work at the Jules Viellard pottery in Bordeaux, where he made tableware, and after a brief return to Limoges (1873-4), where he worked at the pottery of Léon Sazerat (1831-91), he moved in 1876 to Monaco, where he began to make stoneware. He left after the earthquake of 1887 and finally settled in Bourg la Reine, where in 1889 he founded a pottery with the sculptor Alphonse Voisin-Delacroix (1857-93); in 1894, after the latter's death, Dalpayrat's new partner was Jean Coulon (1853-1923). This change of partnership led to the introduction of more conventional china alongside the flamed stoneware that had long been associated with the company; in the same decade Dalpayrat was joined by his four sons (Albert, Adolphe, Hyppolite and Paul). Dalpayrat continued to design display pieces, some of which were set in gilded bronze by Parisian jewellers such as Maison Cardeilhac. The pottery closed in 1906.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.