Quick Reference

A county of north‐east Wales created in 1536 at the Act of Union with England. Its core was Perfeddwlad, east of the Conwy, together with Dyffryn Clwyd. These, after the Norman Conquest, constituted the lordships of Denbigh and Ruthin. In 1974 it became part of the county of Clwyd and the former county was divided into three districts—Colwyn, Glyndŵr, and Wrexham Maelor. In 1996 it was reconstituted as a county, but without Wrexham, which became a county borough in its own right.

Subjects: British History.

Reference entries