Derry had been a bishopric from 1254 and was continued at the Reformation as a diocese of the Church of Ireland. The bishopric of Raphoe was joined to Derry in 1834. The medieval cathedral was destroyed by an explosion in 1566. The new cathedral was built between 1628 and 1633 and extensively remodelled in Victorian times. St Eugene's Roman catholic cathedral was completed in 1873 and a spire added in 1903.
Subjects: British History.