German town situated on the River Mulde, just above the confluence with the River Elbe. From 1396 to 1807 it was the capital of the principality (later duchy) of Anhalt-Dessau; since 2007 it has been part of the merged town of Dessau-Rosslau. The castle (1341; most destr.) of the Ascanian princes of Anhalt served as their official residence (Residenzschloss) from 1474. The Late Gothic Marienkirche (1506–12; ruined 1945), which belonged to the complex, was vaulted in 1541 by Ludwig Binder and had rich decoration (destr.) by Binder and the Cranach studio. In 1530–31 the west wing (Johannbau) of the Residenzschloss was rebuilt in central German early Renaissance style, with an important Wendelstein by Ludwig Binder (1500–1556). The complex was unified to form a citadel by Prince Joachim Ernst (reg 1536–86) in 1549, and a new building (1577–83) with an imposing High Renaissance four-wing layout was executed by Rochus Quirinus Lynar and Peter Niuron (fl 1570–1607). Typical town houses, such as those (destr. 1945) in the Grosser Markt, had twin Renaissance gables.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.