Founded 1914 with Weston Gales as cond. 1914–18, followed by Ossip Gabrilowitsch 1918–35. Victor Kolar and guest conds. succeeded the latter, but after difficult times the orch. disbanded 1949. Reorganized 1952. First European tour 1979. Plays in Orchestra Hall, built 1919, restored 1989 seating c.2,200 and with reputation for outstandingly fine acoustic. Conds.: Paul Paray 1952–63; Sixten Ehrling 1963–73; Aldo Ceccato 1973–6; Antal Dorati 1977–81; Gary Bertini 1981–3; Günther Herbig 1984–90; Neeme Järvi 1990–2005.