Lutheran Bp. of Berlin. The cousin of M. Dibelius, he became General Superintendent of the Kurmark in 1925. He took part in various early conferences of the Ecumenical Movement. In 1933 he was dismissed from his post and, though put under restraint by the Nazis, worked with the Confessing Church. In 1945 he became Bp. of Berlin, in 1949 Presiding Bishop of the Evangelical Church in Germany, and in 1954 a President of the World Council of Churches.