A RC religious and missionary congregation of priests and lay brothers. It was founded in 1875 at Steyl in the Netherlands by Bl Arnold Janssen, a German priest who made his foundation outside Germany because of the Kulturkampf. Officially approved in 1905, it focuses its work ‘where the Gospel has not been preached at all, or only insufficiently, and where the local Church is not viable on its own’. In the USA the Society founded the first RC foreign missionary seminary in 1909 at Techny, Illinois, and pioneered the lay retreat movement. It also initiated the RC apostolate to Black Americans.